Monday, February 26, 2007

vancouver and the afterthoughts

a spring break journal. monday, 11:30 am

the drive,
the walk, the longest absence.
bookstore, atwood, hemingway,
blinking with fists, billy corgan.
veggie burger.
ethical tea, earl grey, cocoa
ten thousand villages.
cafe de soleil. the drive.
i don't belong here.

granville island.
children's market. memories.
a wrinkle in time.
puppets of literary genius.
the ocean, the rain,
condos for the upscale.
touching the water with my hands.
barnacles beneath the pier.
winestore, italian, australian,
long walk back.
funny, don't feel i belong.

house of strangers, wine party,
13 bottles. one half glass at a time.
never had so much.
friendly. wish home was like this,
not the drinking, the kindness.
and conversation.
stumble down the steps,
4 am. sick. distant city light.
vancouver is cold in the midmorning.
i don't belong here.

sunday. remorse.
bus was delayed.
green hill, small park.
gm place by the water.
rained all day. oscar night,
friends made it better.
monday morning,
its all gone now, left alone.
home is empty, house is quiet.
i want to belong here,
but i can't.
------------------------------------------------
Oh the glory that the lord has made
And the complications when I see his face
In the morning in the window

Oh the glory when he took our place
But he took my shoulders and he shook my face
And he takes and he takes and he takes

-sufjan stevens

2 comments:

Kathleen Dayle said...

I like this poem, too.

Mmm... I have good memories of that part of the country.

Anonymous said...

Aloha im new here, I came upon this website I have found It vastly accommodating & it's helped me a great deal. I hope to give something back and help other people like its helped me.

Thank You, See Ya Later