Saturday, July 21, 2007

search high and low, scan skies and land

Yesterday a friend and I spent a couple hours on commercial drive. We had some great penne, with curry alfredo and sundried tomatoe, then stopped into Ten Thousand Villages- a local fair trade store. I picked up a bag of Peruvian coffee and a black notebook with rope binding and handmade pages.

Then we sat down at Cafe de Soleil (probably my favorite coffeehouse). The coffee there is a little averge, but the enviroment there is euphoric (big word that sounds cool / not sure what it means). the tables are misshapen, the walls have off color paint, and the cups they use are random and chipped- the kind of cups you would find sitting on a thrift store shelf, but cafe has this very open and comfortable feel. its the kind of place you could sit and listen to the traffic, watch interesting people walk by, and write very content prose... if you like, writing that is. who doesen't like writing?

It might just be my oustide bias, as a person who does not live on Commercial, but to me Commercial seems like the "too good to be true" place to live. I feel pretty at home on that street.

I think if i I lived here i would turn a little weird, and write very eyebrow raising prose, just like Douglas Copeland. Or i might turn vegetarian, start an acoustic folk band, and grow a hippy beard.

maybe i'll stick with my townhouse in the heart of Abbotsford for now. I'll admit, Abbotsford doesen't seem to have a lot of heart, but i love a lot of people who live there and everything i need is within walking distance. So i'm not too worried yet. I'll save the worrying for when i'm done school in two years... or i could just not worry ever.

mmm. i can't wait to try this new coffee.

4 comments:

tracey said...

I'm a commercial drive girl and very soon I am moving away to another city in a distant land. But while I'm living my last days here I try to have as many experiences like you had yesterday. Commercial drive really is too good to be true. You can't beat the people, the vibe, or the food.

Cafe deux soliel has a really cool reggae night every so often that is worth checking out.

* shaina * * said...

i've been watching the final season of The O.C. all afternoon. i just watched an excellent episode featuring a recurring neo-hippie-ish character named Che. he was trying to help Seth find his "spirit animal." as far as i am concerned today, you = Che.

Adam said...

i am not any character from the OC.

if anything, i am jess from gilmore girls.

Di said...

It sounds like a great place! Do you have any pictures?

Maybe sometimes you enjoy some places more just because you live elsewhere...

I really enjoy reading youand I always smile when you apologise for using pretentious words ;)