Monday, February 19, 2007

beauty, conviction, and roobios tea

several items that merit further discussion.

item the first: lent starts in two days. i'm actually doing it this year. if i can call this recent stint at school anything, it is an open enjoyment of seasons- autumn, advent, winter, and now lent.

so, i've decided to ditch caffeine for awhile, in hopes of curing myself from anxiety, irritability, and whatever else high concentrations of caffeine are known to cause.

so, goodbye coffee and green tea. hello roobios.

item the second; i think i'm starting to get carryed away, with my trying to be more "ethical" towards the enviroment. my closet is filled with plastic, and paper, bags that i wanted to make last rather than dispose. as is my back deck filling up with bottles and cardboard boxes.

my roomates are not down... considering some of my attempts at "ethics" and "practicality" involve trying to buy food that is made locally, rather than buying food from all over the world.

this, brought on by a quote by martin luther king- "before breakfast, you will have alredy depended on half the world". so, lately i feel convicted over every single item in my house. from my fashionable leather cuff bracelet, likely manufactured in a sweat shop (not before pained over in a tannery), to the coffee shipped from Sumatra, Indonesia. even the roobios tea, i just bought, from south africa.

what can i do?

i've been listening to a lot of Shane Claiborne. he talks a lot about local community (making everything locally, rather than buying it at a store). which is why i feel a lot of conviction. i'm not going to start ranting about how our north american culture is run by the strain of every other country on earth, and lives under the worship of the almighty dollar... because you will probably feel bad and tune me out (i've done the same).

the idea of buying a product that requires trucking across the country to get to my store... no longer feels comfortable. or eating a cow that had to consume enough grain to feed a village just to grow.... i'm not down anymore.

item the third - i finally got my photo printer to work, so i have welcomed a slight amount of beauty into my house, if only it lasts for a moment. here is one of the items which can now be fathomed, over a fresh pot of roobios, should anyone find need to visit.

Ruth. some else's stained glass, my photograph.



more to follow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with the caffeine! are you counting chocolate as caffeine as well? Let me know if you want more coca tea... it is caffeine free, but it has sure got some kick to it. Then again, it isn't grown locally. But you can rest assured knowing that no extra fuel imputs were used to bringing it to back to canada... and the coca growers in Bolivia have unionized themselves to get fair prices for their leaves... Plus, with every cup of coca tea you drink, thats less coca being used to produce coca base or cocaine.(oh I wish it actually worked that way)

Kathleen Dayle said...

I just recieved your letter! Loved the coffeebeans - nice touch - nice smell! - well, if you can't drink them, I suppose you might as well flavour your words with them... I love it.

Will respond shortly - I promise!

K