Tuesday, June 10, 2008

here by my side

A lot of news as of late:

One) I picked up some tickets for Matt Good yesterday, a minor expense for an artists who was really big in the late 90's. And I just found out this morning that The Album Leaf is playing this Friday in Seattle.

So somewhere between being broke, and feeling convicted for spending too much money, I will be enjoying some pretty rocking moments.

Deux) I picked up a lot of movies the day before that, on a whim. By on a whim I mean on a sale. Among them are Paris ja' Taime, Good Will Hunting, and Atonement- all movies which are my heart / all movies you should see.

Three) I have not written prose in a long time, again. I blame this on my computer still being broken. Last summer I spent a lot of time in solitude hanging around on the back deck in solitude, while my roommates were still at work. Yesterday my roommate, a roofer, had a day off because it was raining immensely. Which, kind of, messed up my idea of having a day of solitude to myself.

As I usually say, the one thing that wrecks solitude is having too many people around.

Last week I asked myself the question, "if I can't be real at home what is the point of living"? I think we, as people, need to have places in our houses that we can escape to, without the fear of someone walking in to our embarrassing moments of honesty. By escape I don't mean avoiding community, shutting myself out completely. I mean being able to have solitude.

Something I realized back in 2005, is that I can't find the joy of solitude without the strength of community. In order to be confident I need time to myself. This just makes sense to me.

So that is that. The rain was really nice yesterday. I wish you were here to see it. There is always that cool air that you only get to feel when it rains here. BC really is a nice, though horribly under appreciated, place to live. A lot of us living here get so caught up in ideas, and questions, that we forget how easy it would be to just spend a day outside, taking pictures or writing in our notebooks over cups of coffee.

I don't really know. I just think life could be so much easier if I stopped running around and just found solitude. Well, maybe not easier. Just more profound.

4) I owe it to myself to write more. Let's talk more about this.

later.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I hope Matt Good is better for you then when I saw him. I saw him at the port and it was just him, no band. He just drank his beer and swore the whole time (and couldn't really do any of the good songs because it was acoustic lol).

Unknown said...

Ha ha. That really sucks. That was a sold out show too!

He is coming back there this month. If he does not play any of his old stuff on this tour, I will be effectively disappointed.

- Adam