Monday, September 24, 2007

tasting a narrative part 2

this morning in class, when i should have been learning about the book of Geneisis, i was looking for ways to roast my own coffee beans at home. so... I'm going to wrap up all my thoughts about java and put it to rest... right now... go-

I have this habit of drinking coffee, whereas i buy a fair trade coffee from a specific country (as opposed to a blend of different countries). One month I'll buy a coffee from Peru, another month I'll buy a coffee from Tanzania, just so i can get a feel for a coffee, and figure out what makes one country's coffee distinct from another. This is just something i've been trying for awhile.

Knowing exactly where a coffee is from, and taking time to prepare it carefully and sip it slowly, is the only way to do coffee. You're not just drinking a cup of coffee, you're drinking a story. so why not make it a really good story. (insert shameless plug for "fair trade" here). incidently, i kept one of the beans of the coffee, that the Pastor was serving, and I taped it in my artsty journal with the text "This coffee bean has a story".

The coffee I talked about last time was distinctly Sumatran. in a coffee there are certain flavours that are unique to a country, dependent on numerous factors- height above sea level, weather, soil... not that i am, or ever will be, one of those guys that will be able to taste all those weird nuances.

But good coffee doesn't need to be a complex issue. I'll make it simple for you;
1) Fair Trade (Level Ground sells some good stuff).
2) Whole Bean
3) Freshly ground

that said, i will stop bugging you about coffee. i'm not as much of a coffee freak as I try and make people think I am (try saying that 3 times in a row). I'm just a really bored college student who talks about a lot of unconventional stuff. And I've pretty much talked the life out of coffee by now.

that said, consider this the end of a chapter. I'm going to turn some pages next time.

later.

No comments: