Saturday, January 20, 2007

cafes and fireplaces

the first day of spring was today or so i thought to myself, walking to my school past the patches of green, hidden just yesterday by snow. the sun was behind some clouds, distorted and opaque, trying to wake up from a long sleep.

i drank two pots of tea today, which threw me into kind of a writing mood... so i had to take advantage of it, rather than read a book, for which a report is due on tuesday. it must have been my issues with technology that caused me to drink the said two pots, without thinking. this morning i was trying to upload pictures from my computer to a flash drive, with sundry results. my computer crashed twice initially. then i uploaded the photos, and tried to transfer them onto my flash drive, and it wasn't working, so i pulled the drive out and it fell apart in my hand.

deep breath. the lights in the room i am in (the bearcat cafe) just shut off. glad it was not my computer. so, computers are a tool. and not in the good way.

i have a date set for my poetry show. by date i mean a day, not a person to accompany me. it is febuary 15th, the day after valentines day. is that too perfect, or too passe', i can't decide (i don't even know what passe' means). i will resist the temptation to write bitter love poems this year... no, really.

i'm trying to get my two worship arts teachers, and my english prof from last year, to attend the show. also, trying to get my artsy menno grass-roots teacher to perform. so, gareth, nelson, tony, hans... if any of you read this blog, or acknowledge it's existance, you now have plans for the 15th.

so anyway, back to spring. spring, as i understand it, is a time of "revival"... though that is not my favorite word to use. revival is too, i don't know, joyful of a word to use. to me spring is a time of re-trying things, or starting over. spring is a time when we try new things, in order to move past the things that didn't work last year. on a similiar note, we are discovering that the things that brought us joy last year just aren't cutting it anymore. this time of year, can hurt a lot for most...

-------------------------------------------

update, i got kicked out of the bearcat cafe, closing early in the afternoon for some reason. i guess thats why the lights turned out.

so now i'm sitting on my floor, in front of my fireplace, typing on my piece laptop. the sun has gone to sleep again, the sky clear and the cold coming in for it's last hurrah. i tried to capture the dying of the snow on my camera, the patches of white on the field, and the rich green.

spring feels empty at the moment- like i'm waiting for this new season to feel good. maybe i'm too reluctant to lay down the pains of a previous season, or maybe i'm too afraid of the new, unexpected, pains the next season will bring. season changes always hurt, but i like to think that these changes are shaping my character... i could be crazy.

in any case, i have spent far too much time immersed in techonogical wonder today. i need to get out of the house, soon.

-adam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome, adam.
well, they're right in saying twentysome's do it. seeing as i'm..twenty some and doing it!
what will be spectacular enough to come visit me??!